Friday, July 13, 2007

Blog 3: Beijing


Welll...having recorded all that I need for the updated China arrangement last evening, we packed our rucksacks and headed off for the Great Wall of China. Now, I don't really like crowded touristy places...and this confirms it! I mean, there was a street vender (wall vendor?) with a waving Mao watch at every turn...and Denis bought eight of them! Even this did not keep them at bay. But the best part was pulling my new four piece TFO fly rod outfit out of it's velour and running through a bunch of false casts on top of the wall. I had plenty of stares and more than a few eager participants willing to let me guide their first attempts to toss a line...over the Great Wall. Relating to this, quite a lot of nationals came up wishing to have their picture taken with me. It was explained to me later that I had a "big nose"...something apparently enviable to have here in China. My nice BIG NOSE is now part of many family photo albums!

Tomorrow morning we head to Kunming in south China where the unexpected awaits us. I hear that a major road trip into the mountains is in the works. The region is known for a wide range of ancient music from a variety of ethnic groups. I'm really looking forward to recording it!

RL

P.S. The name of the ladies choir I recorded last night translates to "Spring Art".

No comments:

Post a Comment